I just found a solution to the issue in the subject. I had the problem a while ago and the only resolution was to re-install my machine. Today I had the same issue again after installing (what I figured out) an UMTS software on my machine. ASP.NET and IIS worked just fine before, but after installing the UMTS software this morning I had the same problems again. I googled and fortunately found this post. The resolution is just to run the little application attached. This will remove the bmnet.dll installed and will fix settings within the windows socket layer. It worked for me.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.